Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Finally Autumn is sound

Yesterday afternoon, I raced down to see if Auutmn was sound and the hope to have a quick ride. She seemed fine so I got on and after a good walk around we had a trot and yay no lameness Great Am stoked about that. Didn't do alot just  bit of transition work walk to trot and back to walk again and some nice long rein trotting and really getting her to stretch down and feel her really swinging from behind. I really need to do more of that I am not doing it enough but its a case of getting to know Autumn and learning to trust that I can just trot around on the long rein and hoping she doesn't spook at anything and spin in the other direction, which has been happening lately cause spring grass and all the horses are all a bit full of themselves, and the ducks flying out of the grass aren't much fun when you are casually walking along on long rein.

Autumn is now going to have 5 days off in a row decided it would be good for her to have a wee break, since I brought her in July I really haven't given her many days off in a row but now that I am trusting her more I know she will be sweet to ride with time off. For a horse that has only been broken in for just over a year she really is so good. I got told the other day by a guy who does breaking in that if I can ride up the road, stand at stop sign then cross the main road(have to ride across to get to my friends arena) which is a state highway, lots of trucks and 100km zone I am doing really well. I really am lucky to have her and I know  I will never sell her, even though I know I could sell her on for a lot of money, whats money at the end of the day,  I already learn't the hard way selling a good horse years ago that even though I got $15k it has taken me this long to replace that horse and I kicked myself for selling her.

We are off to the big smoke this weekend (Auckland), My daughters first b'day and my dad's 70th so big party with the family, and Holly is going to the Zoo with all her cousins can't wait to see her face with all the animals, especially since at home here she loves my horse, dog and cat. Going to be lots of fun.

1 comment:

sally said...

happy birthday Woody and Holly. 1 and 70 .....two awesome ages to get to. Give your Dad a hug from us at the Dawson household Tash. Maggie is fine after her boot from Autumn.....bit of a mark but thats mares for you.Lets hope the wind calms down for next weeks rides!!!!